Thursday, January 26, 2006

Two Minutes Hate

Recent current events prompted me to pick up George Orwell's 1984 from the library this week. I was 11 when 1984 rolled around so unlike a lot of kids a few years older than me, I did not read this book in high school. I did however read Yevgeny Zamyatin's We, which is a very similar dystopia novel in my history of sci-fi class at Georgia Tech . I figured it was time to tick this classic off my reading list.

As I expected I would, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. It was very thought provoking, both from the historical perspective of when it was written (1948) and in light of a variety of intelligence/spying stories that have shaped current events for the past 5 years or so.

What I didn't expect was to find so many great band names in the novel! The concepts of the language of Newspeak Orwell creates for the novel struck me as the perfectly suited for expressing the names of rock bands. Here's a few that I noted while reading the book:
There were probably a few more but those are the ones that I remember at the moment.

No comments: