Monday, February 06, 2006

Opening Pandora's Box(set)


Liz discovered this great streaming music site the other night called Pandora. It is part of the Music Genome Project, where a group of musicians and music-loving technologists have spent over 6 years listening to and analyzing tens of thousands of songs and breaking them down to their basic musical elements -- tonal quality, beat, etc. -- much like a geneticist would break down human traits into our DNA.

The result is that by using the Pandora streaming audio player, you can create custom internet radio stations based on an artist or a song title and they will randomly select new songs and musicians to stream to you that are musically similar. You can then provide feedback (I like this song, I hate this song, etc.) to help them improve their recommendations. I've been listening for a couple of hours so far and I'm incredibly impressed by how well they are predicting music that I will like.

Here are links to a few of the stations that I created:

No comments: