Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Big Computer Downgrade (part 2)

As I mentioned earlier, I downgraded the computer this weekend to Windows XP. For no other reason than the fact that I've never catalogued it before, I thought it would be interesting to log the changes I had to make to the base install to get everything working the way I want it.
  • First things first...install the Ethernet drivers and get on the internet.
  • While I've got the Dell Resources disk open, install sound card drivers, SMbus drivers, and AMD processor driver.
  • Now that the internet is working, download the video card driver.
  • Hit Mozilla.org and grab Firefox 2.0. Bye-bye IE. Grab the del.icio.us extension for Firefox so I have ready-access to my bookmarks.
  • Reboot so the video drivers and other changes take effect.
  • Install the monitor drivers for both the primary (Dell E228WFP) and secondary (ViewSonic Va912b) monitors.
  • Fix Firefox default download directory to not clutter the desktop.
  • Anti-Virus! Free-av.com
  • Turn off Windows Firewall (I've got a NAT for that)
  • Install Windows automatic updates, reboot, then go to windowsupdate.com get the "genuine advantage validation tool" to prove I'm not a piraate and then fill up the basket with 87 upgrades/updates (most of which are security updates).
  • Install SlingPlayer for Windows so I can watch the Rugby World Cup while I work on the computer.
  • Grab iTunes with Quicktime and then download the DiVx codec
  • Get rid of Steam, an online gaming service unwanted installed by the video drivers.
  • VLC player for Windows
  • Got my first BSOD (blue screen of death), rebooted.
  • GooglePack with Google Earth, Google Desktop, Adobe reader, Skype, Spyware Doctor, Picasa, Google Photos Screensaver, Google Talk, and Real Player
  • Printer drivers for the HP 3930
  • iSproggler for my iPod
  • Grab the latest Jave Runtime, reboot and then download Azureus
  • Go back to windowsupdate and grab 7 more updates including the .Net framework to fix an error with the ATI video drivers and IE7 (why, I'm not sure)
  • Format the D:\ partition and re-allocate windows virtual memory to use this dedicated swap space
  • DirectX 10
  • Nero 7 Ultra Edition, and added LAME MP3 encoder serial
  • OpenOffice.org via BitTorrent
  • Firefox extensions and themes: BetterGmail, DownThemAll, FireFTP, ForecastFoxEnhanced, IETab, iFoxSmooth, Linkification, LittleFox, ReloadEvery
  • SDP Downloader and URLSnooper
  • CutePDF Writer
  • AnyDVD, Cucusoft DVD to iPod, and WinRAR
  • Setup the printer for sharing as well as the C:\ drive
  • TweakUI for XP
  • Intellitype & Intellitouch drivers for my mouse and keyboard
  • MAME32
  • Heatsoft Automatic Synchronizer
  • Downloaded Ubuntu Feisty Fawn distro boot disk and began my dual boot linux installation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ANTALIS SOUTH AFRICA DOES IT AGAIN WITH EPSON - At the glittering Epson Awards Ceremony held on Wednesday 25 June 2008 at Helderfontein Estates, Antalis once again walked off with top honours for 2007. Here is some of the team showing off the top PROFOCUS GRAPHICS AWARD for the best of Epson Wide Format Printers and the Certificate for runners up for sales of Epson consumables.